AEW vs NXT? Oh hey y’alls! What’s goin on, wrestling fans? I’m back for another week of scattershot wrestling and booking. How will NXT Karri-on? (Hahahahaha). How many 8 man tags can AEW fit into a go-home show?
Let’s find out!!!
NXT SUPER TUESDAY 9/1/20 (HOSTS – VIC JOSEPH, BETH PHOENIX, WADE BARRETT)
- LAST WEEK’S RECAP
- STREET FIGHT – LEGADO DEL FANTASMA VS BREEZANGO & ISAIAH “SWERVE” SCOTT
- CONNOR’S CURE PROMO
- TEGAN NOX PROMO
- CANDICE LERAE VS KACY CATANZARO (W/CARTER)
- RHEA RIPLEY PROMO
- BRONSON REED VS TIMOTHY THATCHER
- MERCEDES MARTINEZ PROMO
- JOHNNY GARGANO VS ADAM COLE VS FINN BALOR VS TOMMASO CIAMPA – (IRON MAN MATCH FOR NXT CHAMPIONSHIP)
STREET FIGHT – LEGADO DEL FANTASMA VS BREEZZANGO & ISAIAH “SWERVE” SCOTT
- (Boo) I wish we had Chimmel around just so he could annnounce “Soooo-per Tuesday” a la his old Edge entrance call.
- (Yay) Glad Wade Barrett is back on what is hopefully a permanent basis.
- (Boo) A six-man with no rules? AEW must be furious.
- (Boo) Breezango executes a double-team move where Breeze’s head is driven directly into Mendoza’s crotch (or as Beth puts it, Brovaries) that makes the Dudley’s “Wazzzup” look sensible…
- (Boo) And we return from break to learn that we missed the most exciting stuff so far, though I bet that triple trash-compactor spot probably looked really labored on the set-up
- (Boo) Ok, so I’m to believe between Legado and IMP(erium)terference, none of those 5 dudes saw Swerve n’ Dango get on a f*ckin forklift to leap onto them from the heights above? Maybe NXT has decided dumbing down the product might get them AEW numbers.
- FINISH (SWERVE DEF ESCOBAR, JML DRIVER) – Glad Swerve went over, as a rematch between he and Escobar is the only thing I wanna see out of this larger feud that keeps dragging on… ** 1/4*
CONNOR’S CURE PROMO –
- (Yay) One of the best things WWE does, so I’ll promote it any chance I have. To donate to Connor’s Cure –
TEGAN NOX PROMO –
- (Boo) I’m a fan of both their in-ring work, but this feud is just so blah with neither woman really hitting the note they’re aspiring to. Hoping you can settle things “over a glass of wine” doesn’t make me want to watch your feud.
CANDICE LERAE VS KACY CATANZARO (W/KAYDEN CARTER) –
- (Boo) I want to get into Catanzaro, she seems pleasant and hard-working, but it’s just so difficult to buy her offense, and she’s getting in way too much here in what should be a decisive win for Lerae.
- FINISH (LERAE DEF CATANZARO, STOMP) If Lerae only put as much “stank” on the rest of her stuff as she does her finisher, she’d be more over with me as a heel right now. Also rarely a fan of the post-match promo, and this one only served to confuse as Lerae invites Nox over to her house for some dinner? This feud is FIRE! * 1/2*
RHEA RIPLEY PROMO –
- (Yay) Nice, clean promo. I’m totally here for that cage match vs Martinez.
BRONSON REED VS TIMOTHY THATCHER –
- (Yay) Reed is “Colossal” now. I can dig it.
- (Yay?) Big fan of both these guys, hoping they keep both looking strong.
- (Yay) Always refreshing to watch a hard-hitting, logically worked match with Thatcher trying to pinpoint the arm of the larger Reed
- FINISH (THATCHER DEF REED, FUJIWARA ARMBAR) – I actually don’t mind Reed tapping here as he was interfered with by Theory and it helps build Thatcher. Good stuff all around here, probably so short because we’ve got a 60 minute Iron Man match. ** 3/4*
MERCEDES MARTINEZ PROMO –
- (Yay?) Wow, that was sooooper short. Maybe they threw her in with Stone for a reason.
JOHNNY GARGANO VS ADAM COLE VS FINN BALOR VS TOMMASO CIAMPA (IRON MAN MATCH FOR THE NXT CHAMPIONSHIP)
- (Boo) There’s a clock! Let’s see how they fudge on the time…
- (Yay) This type of match normally would make my eyes roll, but with these four, I’m actually interested to see how they work it
- (Boo) Basic 4-man formula stuff for the first twenty minutes, which is why I don’t favor these.
- (Boo) Took 25 minutes for something interesting to happen, which was a possible Bullet Club team-up, which lasted all of 5 seconds, which is what I figured, but I was just hoping for some sort of story or advancement here, but we’re just watching the clock burn.
- FIRST FALL (BALOR PINS COLE, COUP DE GRACE) – Well, that “Too Sweet” spot fired up Prince at least so we finally get a fall preventing them from trying the “no one gets a fall until a scramble at the last second” thing.
- SECOND FALL (GARGANO PINS BALOR, FAIRYTALE ENDING STOLEN PIN) – Ah, good. Now we’ve got some actual storytelling goin on.
- THIRD FALL (COLE PINS GARGANO, PANAMA CITY SUNRISE) – We’ve hit that 2nd gear now. Hoping they keep the energy up.
- FOURTH FALL (CIAMPA PINS COLE, FAIRYTALE ENDING) – Please don’t let this end in a tie. Not cuz it would break my heart, it would just make this whole thing pointless.
- (Boo) Things have stalled now that we’re all even. PLEASE don’t let this end in a tie. PLEASE?
- FIFTH FALL (BALOR PINS CIAMPA, COUP DE GRACE) – Well, at least it won’t be a 4-way tie!!!
- SIXTH FALL (COLE PINS BALOR, LAST SHOT) – Ok, this was a giant waste of time that never really got going even towards the end, but I am looking forward to Cole vs Balor. Just not sure why we needed to get there this way. Match could have easily been 30 minutes, as nothing happened in the first half. ***
This Tuesday was not so super. Still looking forward to next week’s title bout, but this week was flat. Maybe AEW has a chance to finally get my vote!!!
AEW DYNAMITE 9/2/20 GO HOME SHOW FOR ALL OUT (HOSTS JIM ROSS, TONY SCHIAVONE, EXCALIBUR…)
- SANTANA & ORTIZ VS BEST FRIENDS
- MJF PROMO
- PRIVATE PARTY/SCU VS YOUNG BUCKS/JURASSIC EXPRESS
- FTR W/TULLY BLANCHARD PROMO
- KENNY OMEGA INTERVIEW
- CHRIS JERICHO INTERVIEW
- CHRIS JERICHO VS JOEY JANELA
- GUEVARA/HARDY CLIP PACKAGE
- TEAM TAZ PROMO
- DARK ORDER CLIP PACKAGE…?
- THUNDER ROSA VS SERENA DEEB
- JON MOXLEY PROMO
- BIG SWOLE INTERVIEW
- JON MOXLEY VS MARK STERLING (W/WARDLOW)
SANTANA & ORTIZ VS BEST FRIENDS –
- (Boo) Excalibur’s back and I already miss Taz
- (Boo) The former LAX’s tron video makes me laugh at how gritty it is when now they’re in a feud over someone’s Mom’s minivan. But hey, at least this match is based on some sort of storyline
- (Boo) The fact Chuck is taking 5 minutes to build some sort of chair tower is everything I hate about this show
- (Yay) But at least Chuck is the one that gets thrown on it. I get some satisfaction from that. Oh, and NOW they can start the match…
- (Yay) It was a bunch of bonzo crap before the bell rang, but after that, they actually worked a logical match for AEW, with Trent trying to survive until…
- (Boo) A hot tag to Chuck Taylor is like a front row seat to a concert you don’t want to attend. And hey Chuck, you wanna sell the fact you were thrown onto a mountain of chairs?
- FINISH (SANTANA PINS TRENT, STREET SWEEPER) Uh, the middle with Chuck getting heat was pretty good, cuz he’s pretty good at taking a beating, but the rest of this was sloppsville. ** 1/2*
MJF PROMO –
- (Yay) See, that’s how you use Wardlow. He’s for kicking down doors and lawyer retrieval.
- (Yay?) This guy’s pretty ripped for a lawyer. Just sayin…
PRIVATE PARTY/SCU VS YOUNG BUCKS/JURASSIC EXPRESS –
- (Boo) Oh c’mon! Tony, I know you wrote a lot of contracts, but how can I be nicer to this product when you trot out an 8-man tag EVERY WEEK?!? Buckle up for some awkward gymnastics, friends!
- (Boo) Oh, the winning teams will face each other on Saturday. I guess that qualifies as booking while also giving away the ending.
- (Boo) So Hangman cost the Bucks their match last week, but the Bucks are the heels. Hmmm…
- FINISH (JACKSON PINS QWEN, BTE TRIGGER) – If you wanted to tell the story that The Bucks are turning to the dark side, I’m not sure why you’d hide it in an 8-man. But maybe I’m getting desensitized, cuz this one didn’t bother me too much. It was just a bunch of spots and the ref might has well have not been there, but with SCU dictating the pace for the bulk of the match, it never descended into madness. *** BONUS: No Marko involvement.
FTR W/TULLY BLANCHARD PROMO –
- (Yay) I’m not sure what’s been up with Tully these past two weeks, but FTR kill it whenever they’re given a mic and they’re always a breath of fresh air on this show.
KENNY OMEGA INTERVIEW –
- (Yay) Hey, not gonna sh*t talk Omega when he’s got a Hana Kimura shirt on. Get on over to PROWRESTLINGTEES.COM and grab yourself one. (all profits go to her mother)
- (Yay) In the interest of being nice to Kenny now, I….love…his…salmon…shorts that tell me how intense this promo is going to be. Also, his voice doesn’t make me want to claw my face off. Not one bit.
- (Boo) I’d assume Page missed his cue if I had any confidence they new how to pace these promos, but everything is done with a shrugs worth of energy.
- (Boo) Fire whomever monitors the bleep button.
CHRIS JERICHO INTERVIEW –
- (Boo) Marvez nodding when Jericho alludes to him never having kissed a woman is easily the best thing he’s ever done. Quit while you’re on top, sir.
- (Boo) Hearing Jericho have to say the actual words “Orange Cassidy is a main event star” really puts a lump in the ol’ throat.
CHRIS JERICHO VS JOEY JANELA –
- FINISH (JERICHO TAPS JANELA, WALLS OF JERICHO) – That is how you do a squash. Jericho looks motivated and I could watch Janela take a beating all day. ** 1/4*
SAMMY GUEVARA/MATT HARDY CLIP PACKAGE –
- (Boo) Wow, when you put it all together into a clip package, this feud has really been all over the place, and not in a good way. Sammy needs some growin’ up, and Hardy needs some retirin’, so let’s just hope they beat the sh*t out of each Sunday in their….Broken….Rules…match. Sigh.
TEAM TAZ PROMO –
- (Yay) Line of the week: Taz (re: Jake the Snake) “Who’d he ever beat?”
- (Boo) Does the entire Battle Royal consist of heels who can’t speak for themselves?
- (Boo) Please stop playing a guy’s entrance theme during a run-in. I really don’t think Darby Allin swung by the production truck to alert them to his plans.
- (Boo) So to hype the battle royal, we just have all the dudes brawling at ringside? Oh, and picture-in-picture even? Who cares enough about this to not cut away from it for commercial? It’s just a bunch of dudes stumbling around throwing punches.
DARK ORDER CLIP PACKAGE –
-(Yay?) I’m just glad we cut to something, and JR assures us that the Dark Order have “become a phenomenon. They really have”, so I’m sure this will be swell.
-(Boo) NOOOOOO! You tricked me into thinking it was a Dark Order promo when it was a hype package for ANOTHER 8 MAN TAG?!?! Touche’ AEW.
THUNDER ROSA VS SERENA DEEB –
- (Yay) Glad to see Deeb, but methinks she about to get a whoopin’.
- (Boo) JR assures us these ladies aren’t worried about breaking a nail just before Schiavone pimps the new AEW women’s community whose icon is a pair of high heels. Sigh…
- FINISH (ROSA PINS DEEB, THUNDER DRIVER) Well worked match, but if this is her in-ring debut and she’s vying for the title on Saturday, why let Deeb get in so much offense? Rosa did not look like anything special as a result, or because she’s not anything special, we’ll have to see. * 3/4*
JON MOXLEY PROMO –
- (Boo) This was fine, but felt like exactly the same pitch as the last few weeks, you could interchange any of them and not notice a lack of build in intensity.
BIG SWOLE INTERVIEW –
– (Yay) Maybe it’s because this show kills my spirit, but Britt Baker shoving Swole’s face into a pizza before superkicking her felt like hope. Please get Britt into that title picture after this feud.
JON MOXLEY VS MJF’S LAWYER…
- (Boo) This isn’t going to shake those Stone Cold cosplay charges, this feels very much like SCSA-lite.
- (Boo) We all hate lawyers, but Moxley beating on this guy doesn’t really make him seem like the good guy in all this.
- FINISH (MOXLEY PINS LAWYER, PARADIGM SHIFT) This should have been 2 minutes at most. No Stars.
Well, I didn’t love NXT this week, but their in-ring product continues to outperform AEW’s. Also they had an Iron Man match as their main event as opposed to a main event featuring a lawyer, so once again it’s time to climb aboard the train. AEW vs NXT winner? This week’s vote goes to…….