‘The Suplex Assassin’ Alex Kane has been announced as the second new signing under MLW’s Open Draft 2021. Chris Flackett looks at all the notable news from last night’s draft…
The second instalment of the MLW Open Draft 2021 aired last night, May 27th, and now its clear that the format is going to be a 5-10 minute weekly segment, we can just get straight on with the business each week of looking at the reveal of MLW’s new signing.
First of all, let’s take a look at the names Alicia Atout revealed will be staying on the MLW roster:
- Gringo Loco
- King Mo
- ‘Filthy Tom Lawlor
But the big news everyone was excited to see was the latest reveal of one of MLW’s new signings. After last week’s announcement of a name wrestler in veteran Davey Richards, there was anticipation that the next signing revealed would also be a name wrestler.
In fact, MLW went in the opposite direction, revealing that their latest signing was an independent wrestler, ‘The Suplex Assassin’ Alex Kane!
Information About Alex Kane
Alicia Atout interviewed Alex via Zoom. Here are some of the key points from that chat:
- MLW billed him here as 5″11, 240 lbs.
- He played football and wrestled in high school, and played rugby and wrestled in college, so he is no stranger to combat sports.
- He trained to become a pro wrestling in 2018 under AR Fox in Atlanta. He trained for six months before debuting.
- Dan Lambert was responsible for negotiating his contract but Alex wouldn’t confirm if this made him a member of American Top Team. He did say he was excited to train and got on the mat with King Mo.
- He always wanted to wrestle in the ECW arena and is excited that he is making his MLW debut at the 2300 Arena.
- He believes that you should always go after the biggest dog, so he has his eyes on Alex Hammerstone.
- He has a unique shake which involves chicken breast, peanut butter, apple juice and spinach. He saw someone on Tik-Tok saying that they made it because they were out of protein powder, so he thought he’d give it a go. Apparently, it just tastes of peanut butter, which I’m sure is a blessing…
In all honesty, I hadn’t come across Alex Kane before (a quick search reveals he has wrestled for the likes of ACTION Wrestling and Paradigm Pro Wrestling amongst others), but I’m certainly intrigued. I’ve always been a fan of suplex-heavy wrestlers since watching as a kid and teen, gaping in awe at Scott Steiner and Taz. So the idea of someone who has suplexes front and centre in their arsenal is very attractive to me. I also appreciate the chance to see new talent and wrestlers that I’ve never seen before, and the potential is there for MLW to build a new star, something you could argue they need, so I see this signing as a plus.
I’ve seen some comments on the net suggest that because Alex Kane is a name that, like me, they’ve never heard of before, that this is a poor signing. I respectfully disagree. I get that, if you were wanting a bigger signing, then you might be a little disappointed. But if you had no expectations and you’re excited to see new talent that you’ve not come across before, then this is a definite positive move. Anyway, assuming there are other ‘name’ wrestlers waiting to be revealed, why would Court give away all the big announcements in the first few weeks? Surely he’s going to spread them out?
What do you think about MLW’s signing of Alex Kane? Let me know in the comments!